Along with nine other great articles by fellow UW students, my Nepal Earthquake Relief article was selected for the Kaplan Quarterly, 2015 Spring edition (located, for now, on their Current Edition page).
The Kaplan Quarterly was created in memory of Deb Kaplan, a journalist who created a narrative journalism course at the UW. Her brother remembers her inspirations to “give voice to the voiceless,” as she was concerned about social justice and the treatment of marginalized people.
There are awards in her honor, distinguished in these five categories:
1) A story about people on the margins
2) A story involving and important public issue
3) A human personality profile
4) A story that demonstrates an “epiphany”
5) A story with a strong writing style